tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:22:59 GMT
Allistair Crossley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Personally I am less interested in a small footprint Tomcat and more
> interested in tools that help manage and report on the internals of
> Tomcat. Instrumentation, JMX, effective and stable debugging and
> deployment, clustering and load balancing are the types of areas that
> would help me out with our corporate intranet.
>
> I doubt any of these issues are of real concern to the development team
> because they are supporting of the main container, but they matter on
> the front-line and often piecing together different technologies via
> modules which have varying amounts of documentation and stability is
> tough and time-consuming. I've been fighting getting in WebLogic,
> WebSphere and Jboss but it looks like it's going that way in 2006 :(

Personally, I am also not interested at all in changes to the container
architecture either, and I plan to keep using the current codebase to do
the Servlet 2.5 support in JBoss. It mostly does what I need, and I
think changing it a lot would break more things than what it would fix.

- Debugging: No idea, do you have some ?
- Deployment: Ok, it's an independent module (HostConfig, and the
associated manager webapp, basically); I did it twice already, I think
it's half decent, but I am sick of it, so if anyone feels like doing it
again, go ahead.
- Clustering: We have clustering already. What's wrong with it besides
bugs ? (if it had bugs, it's because of not enough users, testing, and
bugfix contributors: you can help)
- Load balancing: We have mod_jk, and now mod_proxy in Apache 2.2. Do
you need more ? I had ideas for an AJP APR client implementation, but I
am not sure there's an actual demand for that (I don't see the point of
having a Tomcat as a front end server, given it's a single purpose task
and exisitng ASF software seem to be doing it just as well).

BTW, I am biased, but I don't see a move to JBoss as being that bad. If
you use a web oriented configuration, you end up with something that has
the same web capabilities as Tomcat, but with a few more robust
components for important functionality (TM, datasource, clustering,
etc). Unfortunately, it uses more resources ;)

> May I also take this opportunity to thank those that have helped with
> any queries I've had this year, Merry Christmas. I'm also very sorry I
> have not yet been able to accomplish what I wanted to in 2005 which was
> to rewrite Tomcat's documentation in DocBook. It's still something I am
> highly interested in as I think documentation is critical and important
> to everyone on the ground.
>
> All the best with Tomcat 6, I would love to help with docs where I can
> but I will need to see if I can work out some time.

Rémy