tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Novotny <novo...@aei.mpg.de>
Subject Re: TC 5.5.12 WARNING: A docBase XXX inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:10:20 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:

>Hi,
>Slight juxtaposition of your message:
>

>>    This certainly seems a lot more limited than the way it worked in TC
>>5.0. I wonder if I need to file this as a bug or a feature enhancement.
>>If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
>>

>>second step that I don't want to do since some of the  web app code
>>internally uses a hardcoded gridsphere web app name).
>>

>Idea: Don't hard-code the app name, use ServletContext.getContextName
>as needed instead.

    Great idea-- where can I find this method
ServletContext.getContextName? It appears non-existent. There is a
method ServletContext.getServletContextName() but that returns the
description as defined in the web.xml and there is a
ServletConfig.getServletName() but that returns the servlet name, I need
a method that will give me the web application name programatically.
Previously I've used getServletPath("") and parse out the last file
separation character but it seems kind of hackish.

>Suggestion: Don't file this as a bug or feature enhancement, it's not
>likely to change, as many of us see this as an improvement in
>enforcement and convention over 5.0.

    Hmm, can you tell me where this convention is defined anywhere? This
is not just a problem for my portal but a few others out there that have
presented instructions that no longer work. If say three portal projects
including Pluto and Jetspeed claim this is a problem can it be
considered a bug?

    Thanks, Jason