tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Corner case with UnavailableException
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:31:42 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently looking at a corner case when an UnavailableException is
thrown. Mainly, the Servlet is doing:

>     public void service(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
>         throws ServletException, IOException {
>
>         PrintWriter out = resp.getWriter();
>         resp.setContentType("text/html");
>
>         out.println(" <HTML> ");
>         out.flush();
>         throw (new UnavailableException("Unavailable"));

The UnavailableException is permanent, so the Servlet.destroy() should
be called(SRV.2.3.3.2). But that's not the case since the response has
already been commited, so a java.lang.IllegalStateException will be
thrown from StandardWrapperValve:

>     242             } else if (available == Long.MAX_VALUE) {
>     243                 response.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_NOT_FOUND,
>     244                             sm.getString("standardWrapper.notFound",
>     245                                         wrapper.getName()));
>     246             }

> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot call sendError() after the response has been
committed

I think we should avoid calling sendError is we know the response has
been commited. Something like:

if (!response.isAppCommited()) {
}

What people thinks?