tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sloppy, Lazy Tomcat Developers (Was: Persistent "xmlValidation" Problem)
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:10:02 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Well, my point was - do we really need this feature ?
>
> If nobody is really using it - it doesn't work out of box and we
> didn't see any major complaint except Bob  - it may be simpler to just
> remove the flag from the docs and server.xml - and maybe even remove
> the code that does this validation. Or move it to some module that is
> not distributed by default, in case we have 2-3 users.
>
> I believe we no longer include the xerces parser in some of the
> distros - so even a fix in xerces will be useless, users will need to
> upgrade the VM.
>
> It is silly to depend on a very specific parser and version - and keep
> options, code, documentation - for a feature that nobody really uses.

I'd prefer leaving it, and the user, if he's interested in the feature,
will have to find a Xerces build that works (I tested, and the one we
ship in the compat package works fine for all webapps; the one from my
JDK 1.5 has issues though, with the 2.3 webapps).

Don't worry though, we'll deviate from a pure Servlet/JSP server quickly
enough ;)

Rémy