tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-frederic Clere <jfcl...@telefonica.net>
Subject Re: Sloppy, Lazy Tomcat Developers (Was: Persistent "xmlValidation" Problem)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:41:33 GMT
Bob Bronson wrote:

> Comments below, for any of you who care....

Friendly peoples always care about the needs of other...

+++++++++ CUT ++++++++++

> I installed a fresh copy of TC 5.5.12 (using JDK 1.5.0 on Win XP). I
> went into the server.xml that is distributed with TC and changed the
> 'xmlValidation' attribute value to "true" on the <Host> attribute.
> What do you think happened? I got tons of meaningless stack traces.

meaningless... I don't think so. Open a bug in bugzilla so that someone
could think of fixing what is wrong.

> This tells me one of two things -- either the sloppy Tomcat open sores
> programmers released an invalid web.xml that doesn't validate *OR*
> that the 'xmlValidation' functionality is broken.
>
> The fact that Tomcat 5.5.12 was released with this very basic (admit
> it, it's not a subtle issue) problem indicates to me the poor state of
> testing the Tomcat programmers must do at a system level.
>

>>> When I set the 'xmlValidation' attribute to 'true' I get a big stack
>>> trace. One would think it might be appropriate to offer a nice error
>>> message describing the problem.
>>

>> Blame Xerces ;-). XML error are not always easy to discover.
>

> You say that the lousy XML error messages are something I should
> "blame on Xerces".

Yes, we could blame xerces... Xerces is also in ASF (we are blaming
ourself).
OpenSource works because developers and users are playing togother, not
one against the other.
Unfriendy messages tends to cause unfriendly answer, but keep cool,
report the errors, propose a patch, propose a work-around... Well do
something that helps you.

>  The fact that the Tomcat User mailing list often receives over 150
> messages a day is more a testament to Tomcat's crappy documentation
> than to its popularity.

Well Tomcat documentation  needs _urgent_ improvements.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic