tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r349085 - /tomcat/sandbox/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/NioEndpoint.java
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:49:51 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <costin@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: svn commit: r349085 -
/tomcat/sandbox/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/NioEndpoint.java

On 11/25/05, Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com> wrote:
>> > The nio endpoint. Uses the thread pool. Only accept is implemented -
>> > the
>> > polling of keep alive needs merging some code in the http11protocol.
>> >

>> Yup, it's still too incomplete to evaluate.  However from my work with
>> NIO/AJP, using blocking sockets after the accept will totally s*ck in
>> performance with NIO.  Unless you come up with something totally
>> brilliant
>> :), I still agree with JFA that non-blocking sockets is the only way to
>> go
>> with NIO.
>
>Well, I also agree that non-blocking sockets are faster than blocking.
>But as someone said, raw performance is not the most important thing
>for most people :-)
>My initial goal is to deal with the keep alives - i.e. not keep the
>threads busy for all the idle connections. That would be a nice
>improvement over the current non-nio connector, which can't do this,
>and is pretty minimal and consistent with the current model.
>
>I will eventually use the APR code for non-blocking parsing of the
>request. Not sure if in this endpoint or I'll try another one - I kind
>of like the fact that this code is very simple. I'm more interested in
>experiments with how to do non-blocking processing at coyote level,
>whatever happens in a servlet is limited by other factors - blocking
>socket is not the biggest overhead.

Urm, APR uses blocking sockets.  It uses APR to get around the fact that (at
least with Sun's JVM) blocking NIO sockets totally s*ck.

Just look at the differences between the logic for ChannelNioSocket and
AjpAprProcessor.

>I'll announce when it's 'complete' or 'ready to evaluate' - right now
>it's just 'sandbox experiment'.
>Right now - there is little point in benchmarking.
>
>Costin

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.