tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] APR or NIO ? (was:Re: Any other functionality missing from Tomcat 5.5.12 that relies on JSDK 5.0?)
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:29:47 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 2:25 AM
Subject: [VOTE] APR or NIO ? (was:Re: Any other functionality missing from
Tomcat 5.5.12 that relies on JSDK 5.0?)

>I think we need to organize a community vote then, so that I do not waste
>my time.
>
>So here we go:
><ballot>
>I think the IO design for connectors used by Tomcat should be:
>[+0] NIO selectors, etc (this means 100% NIO)
>[+0] APR (this means 50% NIO, where NIO is only used for all the objects
>exposed at the higher level)
></ballot>

Of course, once everybody starts using Harmony as their JVM, these will be
the same thing ;-).

For AJP/1.3, we already have all three (APR/NIO/prefork) implementations.
>From users@ it seems that there is virtually zero interest in NIO, and
little enough in APR.

While I'm interested enough to look at a NIO HTTP/1.1 implementation, I
can't really see that the problems (e.g. unpredictible upload size) are
solvable. Also, the cr*p implementation of NIO in Sun's Windows JVM will
likely make it unusable on Windows.

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.