tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <>
Subject Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:19:57 GMT
On 10/25/05, Mladen Turk <> wrote:

> Although I was evangelizing the new protocol for a long time...
> Looking more deeply on the subject IMHO there is no much purpose for
> developing such stuff unless the HTTPD offers the dynamic
> reconfiguration, and I doubt something like that will be considered
> before Apache 3.0 (as I understood).

Httpd offers some reconfiguration - usually enough for what we need (
i.e. mappings ).
See my previous mail - you can control this as well using a normal
module and http requests ( over ajp or text http )

> Introducing new protocol would bring more problems if we try to

and will give no solution !.

> One of the advances would be to extend the CPING/CPONG messages
> with worker/balancer status data, so that we can collect data in
> the runtime like load, etc... The other would be to introduce private
> headers within AJP channels for status data exchange between nodes.

Or you could do this as well at a higher layer - by making HTTP
requests ( binary or not ).

This would also benefit other use-cases - like general monitoring and
non-ajp load balancing.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message