tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: Interactions with org.apache.coyote.Request/Response
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:07:59 GMT

> There's no reason to use crap stuff like a BAOS. Just append byte arrays to a buffer.

I'll take a look at how this is done in tomcat at the moment.

>> 	- It looks like I'll have to implement the ActionHook stuff to deal
>> with call-backs from the request / response. Is there anything else
>> I'll need to do?

> No.

That's handy. The thing that's currently puzzling me a little is that the Response seems to
have an associated stream, but doesn't really write to it itself. When should I actually go
about pushing stuff in to that buffer at the connector level? In response to action call-backs?

>> 	- Im planning to have my "NIOHttpProcessor" use a CoyoteAdapter the
>> same way the Http11Processor does. Does this sound reasonable enough?

>I don't care how how you name your classes ;)

I was asking more about whether the existing CoyoteAdapter is likely to be re-usable in such
a scenario

>> Any pointers / help / advice would be gratefully received.

> Obviously, you can feel free to experiment all you want, but such a specific connector

> will not be included in Tomcat. Scalability will be far more limited with your design

> than even with the fully threaded Tomcat. If all the server is doing are small requests

> and responses, then it will work well (however, the hybrid model also likes this
> scenario, so I don't think it will even improve on that), otherwise it will just break.

Sure, there's no way I could see this being included in Tomcat "proper". Like I said, its
just a prototype to see if it solves a specific problem im experiencing (I just cant configure
tomcat with 20,000 threads).
However, your reply confuses me somewhat. These are not going to be small requests / responses:
In fact, they are likely to be fairly large multi-part messages (SOAP and the like). In addition,
the processing latency is going to be large (potentially up to 15 seconds per request).
Surely this is a reason ** for ** breaking the thread per connection model?
Why would it break with anything other than small requests and responses? (There's nothing
to stop parsing to be offloaded to a small - probably CPU count matched - thread pool)?

Would appreciate clarification on this issue - as if Im following a doomed route then it would
be great to know as early on as possible :o)

> Rémy

Thanks for your time,

Dave

and inform the sender. Thank you.