tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:14:22 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> DBUS is a good example in IMO - I'm not
> saying to use their impl, which doesn't fit, just the protocol spec.

The major power of AJP protocol is known-header-name indexing, and
IMHO there is no other protocol that is HTTP application focused.
If there is really a need for a completely new protocol,
and I doubt there is a real need for that right now, we must presume
that the primary intent of the protocol is to allow communication of
two well known and defined http applications.

In today world the major limiting factor is not processing power, but
rather the network throughput, so each byte saved on the wire rises the
performance.

If you look at the XDR protocol, each 'string' type message is prefixed
with additional two bytes compared with AJP, so beside that, the lack of
header indexing would at least double the packet size, and downgrade the
performance by twice.

Regards,
Mladen.