tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:20:01 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> AJP 1.5 should support automatic discovery of tomcat backend, new
> systems and new webapps.
>
> That's the current need for many of us when adding tomcats / webapp
> behind Apache 2 webservers. In such case we need to restart them and
> it's sad.
>
> How could it be accomplished, may be via a master tomcat who will give
> the tomcat farm topology to Apache HTTP2.
>
> What do you think ?

I think this is completely useless. This cannot quite work in "real"
load balancing or failover deployments, where I doubt admins would use
straight mapping for the webapps, or also would want to control the
timing of enabling the new deployments (otherwise, servers will go
online automagically while stuff is being installed, and other cool side
effects like this). The "admin" webapp currently provided by mod_jk and
mod_proxy is a far more practical way to do things, as admins will want
control over magic.

The main use case for this is the dumb 1 Apache <-> 1 Tomcat deployment,
which has no future, so breaking compatibility to improve this
deployment style is not a good move.

Rémy