tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:24:43 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> AJP 1.5 should support automatic discovery of tomcat backend, new
> systems and new webapps.
>
> That's the current need for many of us when adding tomcats / webapp
> behind Apache 2 webservers. In such case we need to restart them and
> it's sad.
>
> How could it be accomplished, may be via a master tomcat who will give
> the tomcat farm topology to Apache HTTP2.
>
> What do you think ?

Although I was evangelizing the new protocol for a long time...
Looking more deeply on the subject IMHO there is no much purpose for
developing such stuff unless the HTTPD offers the dynamic
reconfiguration, and I doubt something like that will be considered
before Apache 3.0 (as I understood).

Introducing new protocol would bring more problems if we try to
implement it within current web servers then it would resolve, so
it might have sense only if Apache would implement dynamic config
in the future.

We should use our (quite limited right now) resources for cleaning
up the existing JK codebase and try to extend the existing protocol
without braking backward compatibility.

One of the advances would be to extend the CPING/CPONG messages
with worker/balancer status data, so that we can collect data in
the runtime like load, etc... The other would be to introduce private
headers within AJP channels for status data exchange between nodes.

Those two things would resolve much of the existing problems caused
by 'dummy' one way communication, and beside cleanup of the exiting
code, it is the reason for creating a 1.3 branch.

Regards,
Mladen.