tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sandbox ?
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:50:23 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
>>And CharBuffer, I hope. So you'll be extending (ByteChunk extends
>>ByteBuffer) ?
>
> CharBuffer would go to MessageBytes.
>
> I'm thinking more as an 'uses' - you create ByteBuffers ( maybe direct
> buffers ), and
> you set it in the ByteChunk. "Extend" is not the best choice - it
> would be hard to work with direct ( or other ) buffers. I'm actually
> thinking about adding some static methods as well for all the utils we
> have in BB.

I didn't do any tests, but accessing direct buffers contents seems
vastly more expensive. I don't see how they could be used other than for:
- buffering (as done in the APR connectors)
- transferring bytes without manipulating them in Java (ex: sending a
file on a socket)

Did you do some microbenchmarks ?

Rémy