tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interactions with org.apache.coyote.Request/Response
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:07:04 GMT
Irving, Dave wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> Yeah, that's the crux of it I suppose. Do you know how much of tomcat
> assumes single thread request / response? After the request pops out of
> tomcat (via axis), the processing on our side is already asyncronous:
> 	- Receive request
> 	- Pass request on for asyncronous processing
> 	- Internal request processing completes
> 	- Unblock tomcat thread, allowing response to be handled back
> through axis and tomcat
>
> I appreciate that dealing with axis to handle asyncronous responses is
> out of the scope of this list, but what about tomcat?
> Would much need to be changed to remove the assumption that everything
> has been done when servicing the servlet returns? I.e: If I can make my
> web-apps behave asyncronously, would a whole load need to be done within
> tomcat to support this?

The container portion deals with the servlet API, which is synchronous
(which is good, as it is a workable programming model). Adding
additional async capabilities beyond the servlet API, such as IO events,
is also possible, but here there will not be any events.

I think the conclusion is that your requirements are outside the use
cases for which the servlet API was designed for, so besides reusing
portions of the code, most of your request processing cannot quite run
inside the main servlet container.

Rémy