tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:04:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Cc: <hgomez@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Status/Authority of AJP/1.5

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> >
> > Security ( i.e. authentication ) might be the only reason to extend
> > AJP - but even this can be done on top of the existing protocol, using
> > a custom header and connection initiation.
>
> Only partly true.  Let's take the HTTPS state, for example... if tomcat
looks
> for X-PROTOCOL=HTTPS, for example, passing this from the proxy as a
typical
> header is simply wrong for security reasons.  It's too trivial to fake,
and
> it's too expensive to guard against.
>
> The safe way is to have two header-types, one, a client HTTP-type header.
The
> other, proxy metadata such as the protocol, SSL keys and other server
variables.
> These wouldn't be relayed as HTTP-style headers, so therefore all sorts of
proxy
> to backend data can be trusted.

Urm, all of this is already part of the AJP/1.3 protocol, and now that BZ
#36883 is fixed, is working well in mod_proxy_ajp.  The main limitation with
the current protocol here is that AJP/1.3 only sends actual client-cert
instead of the entire chain.

One idea would be to expose the SSL data via a callback Msg, so that
Servlets that aren't going to look at it don't have to waste time asking
mod_ssl for the data.  But it's probably not that big of a deal.

> (FYI - w.r.t. the client/server certs, I don't suggest a full blown
mod_ssl
> type of decomposition.  If they want to tear apart the certificates, it
sure
> makes sense to introspect them through jsse, no?)
>
> Bill

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.