tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <tomcat-...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Need an option to severe socket connections between mod_jk and ajp connector after request/response cycle.
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:23:20 GMT
Please witch over to tomcat-user for discussion. This is not really a
developer issue.

=== My previous comments (bugzilla) ===
First hints from my side: reduce to equal number of apache and tomcat
instances, configure F5 with rule that sends URLs with session cookie or
jsessionid in URL to the "correct" apache. Furthermore configure mod_jk,
such that each apache sends requests without sessions to it's preferred
tomcat partner.

That way almost all apache processes will connect to only one tomcat.

If you still need 16K apache processes per instance you are in trouble
(maybe upgrade to apache 2), if you manage to handle the workload with
1K apache processes, 1K Threads in Tomcat should be OK.

=== Additional comments ===
If you don't want to reuse the connections between apache and tomcat
(last ressort solution) switch over to connectors of type ajp12 (they
will close the connection after each request-response cycle) or set
cachesize to 0 which will use ajp13 protocol, but I think it will close
connections after each request too.

I hope you don't use HTTP keep alive?

Also: I vaguely remember there was an experimental connector/thread pool
implementation with asynchroneous features. It might be, that this
implementation does not need one fixed thread for each apache connection
and I think it is beeing shipped with 5.5.x, but not enabled on default.

Concerning this topic tomcat-dev might be the right place to ask.

Rainer