tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: inprocess Tomcat/apache via mod_jk
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:41:49 GMT
With worker - it may work. However you may find mod_jk inprocess to be
slower than ajp and mod_proxy ( or comparable in speed ), this is due to
  the way parameters are passed as strings ( i.e. lots of unoptimized
char-byte conversion ).

Porting to 5.5.x shouldn't be hard - the interface between tomcat and
modjk is very simple: you need to startup, i.e. make sure classpath is
set and the class that executes launches tomcat correctly, and then it's
a simple class that does the request/response passing.

If you do this for performance reasons - you may want to look at the
code in jk2, and try to backport it. A benefit would be that the
interface is even simpler - the req/response are passed in the same kind
of buffer as ajp requests. AFAIK that's the only major difference. Since
Remy, Mladen, etc have greatly optimized the regular tcp connectors -
probably the difference on performance ( with this optimization
backported ) will be small. But if you use the old style of interface -
I'm sure jni will be slower (it was slower 2 years ago).

Costin