tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-...@schoenhaber.de>
Subject Tomcat 5.5.10: APR-SSL doesn't work in chrooted UML
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:37:13 GMT
Hello!

I'm trying to run Tomcat 5.5.10 [1] on user mode linux which is started in a
chrooted environment but Tomcat hangs when initializing the SSL-Connector -
i. e. the message
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init
does never show up in the log. When I try to connect to the SSL-port the TCP
handshake is made but no data at all is transmitted.

Everything runs fine if:
- The UML-kernel is *not* started in a chroot environment. (!)
- APR is used but SSL is turned off (ex. the Connector has set the "SSLEngine"
config attribute  to "off").
- APR isn't used at all.

I don't have the slightest idea why it should matter whether UML is started in
a chroot environment or not. To tell the truth, I don't have the slightest
idea whether it's a bug in Tomcat, APR, Tomcat's native binding to APR,
openssl, UML or if it's myself overlooking something absolutely obvious.

Any proposals what I could do to track this one down?

Regards
  mks

[1] In fact, it is a nightly build I made on August 6. - but the official
5.5.10 binary behaves identically.

System spec:
- Gentoo Linux on both host and guest.
- Host kernel: vanilla 2.6.12.4 with blaisorblade's skas-2.6.12-v8.2 patch.
- Guest kernel: vanilla 2.6.12.4 with blaisorblade's uml-2.6.12-bs9 patch.
- APR 1.1.1.
- OpenSSL 0.9.7e.