tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] SOC temporary committer Anders Nyman
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:49:00 GMT
At 01:25 PM 7/11/2005, you wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>It's important for students involved with SoC to learn to use
>>the tools of our organization;
>
>I don't agree with you. The Tomcat is not place for some
>'sandbox' projects.
>If the ASF have some agreement with Google then it should
>have created a 'SoC Google sandbox' not trying to force
>every project to create a 'Google sandbox'.

The ASF didn't agree with Google that 'we need more code'
(many projects seem overwhelmed at times by the amount of code
they manage already, no slight intended...)  The ASF agreed that
Open Source needs to continue to grow in contributors.

The only way to grow more contributors is to have them learn
in-place.  The mentor's job is to help them set up, avoid the
usual foibles, help them participate in the community, and do
a bit of steering of the project.  Because the entire pace is
'accelerated' it is humanistically challenging, but far from
impossible to bring an individual up to speed over a month or
few.

So it's unusual, and we aren't handing away keys to the entire
kingdom.  But setting up a sandbox (not your problem, it's the
mentors) and watching the progress (if it scratches your itch)
is not an imposition on the individual project communities.

Bill