tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Migration to Subversion
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:43:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thomas" <markt@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: Migration to Subversion

> Yoav Shapira wrote:
> >
> >>Any and all comments appreciated. In particular:
> >>a. Should more 3.x.x versions should be included in 4 & 5 above?
> >>b. I have assumed that all releases before 5.5.x will use the 5.0 branch
> >>of the connectors. Is this assumption valid?
> >
> > I don't think so.  Some Tomcat 3.x versions, for example, already use
the
> > latest connectors that are also used by Tomcat 5.5.
>
> That is fine as long as you build and run on a 1.4+ JDK but when checking
for
> 1.3 compatibility the Coyote/HTTP connector fails. The root cause is the
use
> of the 1.4 regexp API in o.a.coyote.http11.Http11Processor
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=109403344007532&w=2).

This is true.  However in TC 3.3 the Coyote connectors have always been
optional.  That's why I've kept it using j-t-c HEAD even with the 1.4
dependancy.  Of course, it's pretty mote until it's time to do a 3.3.3
release ;-).

> Possible solutions:
> 1. Use the 5.0 branch
> 2. Revert the patch and go back to using jakarta-regexp
> 3. Introduce an o.a.coyote.http11.tomcat4 package and place a copy of
> Http11Processor in it that uses jakarta-regexp.
>
> Pros/Cons
> 1. Would mean an awful lot of porting.
> 2. Quick but adds an unnecessary library to TC5 and leaves TC5 using two
> different regexp libs
> 3. Relatively quick but would need some build.xml tweaking for TC5
>
> Unless anyone has a better idea, I'll crack on with 3 over the weekend.

I've thought that it should be possible to do this with an Ant filter (so
that you don't have to maintain a separate copy of the file).  I've always
been too lazy to actually sit down and write it however. :).

> On the Subversion front, I have TC4 building with
jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> HEAD and will commit it once I have finished testing the various connector
and
> JVM combinations (I don't plan to provide APR support in TC4). Once I have
got
> this out of the way, I'll work with Henri on the test Watchdog migration.
>
> Mark

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.