tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From d...@lexmark.com
Subject Re: Session Affinity after Graceful Apache restart? [was Re: Adding working dynamically with mod_jk status?]
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:13:20 GMT

> First of all graceful restart will not work on Windows for any busy
> server. I suggest that you move to some unix/linux version.

Errr...could you explain why?  I was told on the Apache list that it does
work on Windows...what am I missing?

cheers,

David

|         |           Mladen Turk      |
|         |           <mturk@apache.org|
|         |           >                |
|         |           06/07/2005 01:37 |
|         |           "Tomcat          |
|         |           Developers List" |

dhay@lexmark.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asking some more questions about restarts on the Apache list,
and
> was redirected back here...
>
> Does anyone know (David, Mladen?) what will happen to session affinity is
> this situation?
>
> ie with Apache in front of several tomcats using mod_jk, when Apache is
> restarted "gracefully" using "apache -k restart" (Windows) will session
> affinity be preserved across the restart?  ie will browsers with a
session
> open with a particular Tomcat continue being directed to that particular
> Tomcat after the restart?

First of all graceful restart will not work on Windows for any busy
server. I suggest that you move to some unix/linux version.

And yes, the session affinity will be preserved because it is
related to the worker name and jvmRoute.

Also, like somebody already told you: The easiest is to try by yourself,
and then come up with the real problem.

Regards,
Mladen.