tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jni/native configure.in
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:33:13 GMT
At 02:01 AM 6/23/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:
>jfclere@apache.org wrote:
>>jfclere     2005/06/21 03:31:41
>>  Log:
>>  -Wall is only for gcc.
>
>That's true. But if your 'cc' doesn't support
>the -Wall then make CFLASG with some platform
>switch rather then interfering with 99% of others that are using gcc.
>The -Wall is very valuable when dealing with compile warnings,
>and that was the main reason what the --enable-maintainer-mode
>was added at the first place. It makes no sense without.
>

>>  -        CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -DDEBUG -Wall"
>>  +        CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -DDEBUG"
>
>I would prefer that you add some platform case/esac that will
>in ReliantUnix case add what ever you wish to the CFLAGS.

Conversely, a compiler case/esac would avoid altogether breaking
AIX, HP/UX, Reliant and a dozen other oddballs.  Forcing users to
play cflags is really a symptom of a weak build system.

Bill (Who's wasted untold hours fighting with auto**** linux-isms
      lately and who has no humor left for penguins :)