tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Nasser <fnas...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Servlet and JSP APIs in java repository
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:15:03 GMT
Hi,

I would also like to know the relashionship between the Apache Geronimo
"specs" version of the servlet API and JSP specifications.
For instance, we currently get the Servlet 2.4 API with both Geronimo
"specs" and Tomcat 5.5. Similar for JSP.

Are they the same?

Which one should be mavenized and used everywhere Servlet adn JSP are
needed?

Regards to all,
Fernando

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>There's a lot of confusion about the servlet and jsp apis, many
>>projects reference the servlet 2.4 while in Tomcat 5.5 the version
>>included says 2.4.public_draft, so I really don't know if there's
>>available a 2.4 "final" somewhere.
>

> The version that ships with Tomcat 5.5 and all but the very first couple of
> Tomcat 5.0 releases is Servlet Specification v2.4 final.  (And JSP
> Specification v2.0 final).
>
> When you say it "says 2.4.public_draft," what precisely do you mean?  Is
> that the name of a file somewhere, a directory, a CVS tag?
>

>>So this is a request for help, if you could tell us what versions of
>>servlet api exist since 2.3 and jsp apis, where to get them and the
>>license (some Sun APIs can't be redistributed in the repository), then
>>I'll fix the repository.
>

> There was Servlet Spec 2.3 and JSP Spec 1.2, which go with Tomcat 4.  Then
> there were a few Servlet Spec 2.4 PFD (Proposed Final Draft) releases, but
> that's a long time ago.  Everything for the past year and several months has
> been Servlet Spec 2.4 (final) and JSP Spec 2.0 (final).
>
> As far as CVS: while both these packages ship with Tomcat, they have their
> own CVS area.  It's the jakarta-servletapi-5 CVS module, and under it you'll
> find directories for each spec.  The binaries (they're actually jars,
> servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar, respectively) in there are for Servlet Spec
> 2.4 final and JSP Spec 2.0 final.
>
> I hope that clarifies things.  If not, please let us know how else we can
> help.
>
> Yoav

Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300