tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Rossbach ...@objektpark.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/mapper HostMap.java Mapper.java
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:01:28 GMT
Hey.....

Remy Maucherat schrieb:

> Peter Rossbach wrote:
>
>> Hey Remy,
>>
>> For usefull feature I don't give up :-)
>

> Fine, I'll just revert your patch then ;)

Hmm, thanks for that... :-(

>> The default of host alias matching is off. The current implementation
>> is little bit fast
>> then the old one. (Great) Every user of this feature can limit the
>> dynamic host addition with
>> <Connector port="8080" allowedAliasMatches="10" />
>

> The issue is that this mechanism is bad, period.

Why it is so bad? The implementation was faster then the revert mapper
state. What is a better way to implement this feature?

>> The wild card alias usage is very useful for tomcat hoster. Now the
>> customer can use
>> a new host subdomain without change the server.xml. Very nice and the
>> admin must do nothing.
>

> And the usefulness of that is non existent as well. What's the purpose
> of "adding" hosts if they are all the same ?

Easy: Hoster has installed the site with mydomain.net and later your
customer want www.mydomain.net, foto.mydomain.net,  or you have an
application
(blog,wiki,cms) that people can register and then there get an own
universe (new subdomain). Currently I add new Alias to the Host section and
save the server.xml without context.xml writing ( feature from new
storeconfig module).

(Bill: the com.sun... package not used inside code... My fault.)