tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Summer of code
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:45:34 GMT
Here is more detail of what I was pondering with the reverse proxy.

Topic - Extend the balancer webapp to allow for reverse proxy

Description
-------------
Write a 2.4 compliant Servlet Filter which will allow tomcat (or any other
compliant engine) to act as a reverse proxy.

Constraints
-----------
- Use no tomcat internal specific api's
- Allow for other filters to wrap this so caching would be allowed
- Allow for pluggable proxy rules much like the balancer is implemented

Rules to create
-----------
- simple match rule which is one-to-one mapping back to a single server based
on a URL prefix

Nice to haves
- Use a pool of connections to take advantage of keep-alive capabilitites
- A partner caching filter which can cache to memory/disk/???
- A partner filter which can provide rudimentary content rewriting for hosts
which return an incorrect hostname
- cluster rule - So tomcat fronts a cluster of servers for the following
scenarios 1) round robin 2) random 3) sticky