tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial apr results
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:05:02 GMT
Tim Funk wrote:
> My test box was an HP-UX 9000/800/L1000-44 - Dual CPU (440 MHz)
>
> On my initial tests with the APR connector - the APR connector "seemed"
> slower the "old" http connector. But the difference is mild and my
> initial numbers are flaky. On the same hardware - I am running 6 other
> instances (of different versions) of tomcat at the same time which may
> be throwing my numbers off.
>
> During some slow time - I might be able to take most of them down and
> run some more tests to try to ensure I am hogging all the resources to
> the box and not sharing them.
>
> For those curious - for /tomcat.gif - my requests per second range
> anywhere from 1200+ to 5000+ - Due to such a large range - I have no
> confidence in my numbers so far to reach any conclusion.
>
> I was using the command:
>  /usr/local/httpd/bin/ab -n 1000 -c 100 -k http://myserver:8090/tomcat.gif
>
> With keepalive off - I was still easily over 1000 requests per second
> for tomcat.gif.

I can't assert yet that there are no bugs at the moment (performance or
otherwise). So far, performance seems good on Windows, and Linux. To
give a comparison on Windows with this test, APR HTTP is within 5% of
regular HTTP, and gets closer depending on the JVM (I suppose if it's
better at JNI - I've noticed slightly better results with Sun JDK 1.5
Server compared to 1.4.2 client).

I think you should use -n 20000 at least: if the test duration is too
small, ab is going to produce random results. In this test, increasing
concurrency isn't particularly useful either.

Obviously, the results of this kind of testing are not really important
as long as the results stay relatively close (for example, I think the
-25% result I got when using polling exclusively was really good).

Rémy