tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Summer of code
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:34:02 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>"Correct Servlet Specification violation in reading manifests", aka bug
>>34993, is quite inappropriate for a full fledged summer project. The bug
>>is actually invalid, but more generally the project would be far too
>>short (see o.a.c.util.ExtensionValidator for the implementation of the
>>extension check mechanism mandated by the specification).
>
> OK, good.  Thanks for pointing that out and resolving the bug.  If you
> haven't edited the wiki page yet, I'll do so in a moment.

Don't know, the page is locked for me.

> The intent on these projects is not necessarily for them to take 3 months of
> intense work: it's to get some students to write some code which will get
> them familiar and excited with open-source development.  That's it: a low
> bar.

Makes sense. Where's the document on what summer of code ASF projects
should be ?

>>Similarly, "Tune Jasper Performance for Multiple JSPs" should IMO be a
>>more general "Tune Jasper Compilation Performance" :)
>
> Good point, will change.
>
>>"Enhance Tomcat to support one-to-many mapping of security roles" might
>>be also too short.
>
> We'll see.  The idea is again to get them excited, maybe starting small, and
> then continuing to contribute with other stuff.

I think the current security is somewhat a dead end. Adding to the list
of questions, I don't know yet if it will be touched up in the upcoming
Servlet spec. So I'd rather not plan to base new work on the current
code until we know more.

>>I'd like to propose adding the following things to the summer of code:
>>- tag plugins implementation for JSTL (finally)
>>- improve admin/management tools (?)
>
> Sure.  Feel free to edit the wiki page accordingly.

Well, we'd need consensus on tasks, I think. Most of the time, I don't
like it when a random piece of code pops out of thin air.

>>Anyway, we need a community discussion on summer of code proposals.
>
> OK.  My intent was to kick-start the process by posting some ideas to the
> wiki page, and that seems to have worked ;)  Everyone, please take a look at
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html and the linked Apache ideas page
> (which is currently down for me ;(), and comment as you see fit.  Anyone
> willing to be a mentor or help out, that's great.  Any ideas for projects
> are also welcome.

Ok, from what I understand from Google's documents, pay is rather decent
(for French standards, at least ;) ), so it seems project's length
should be around 1 - 1.5 months.

Rémy