tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: AJP using APR
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:17:44 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: AJP using APR

>Bill Barker wrote:
>> "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>The biggest difference will be if it's a 'direct' buffer, i.e. zero copy.
>>>Classpath ( gcj, kaffe, etc ) also has byte buffer support - so it should
>>>be ok, if anyone needs jdk1.3, they can use the old code.
>>>

>> Yes, the idea was that it would be a direct buffer.
>>

>>>But where is the code ?
>>>

>> It's on my hard-drive.  Unlike Remy's APR stuff, o.a.jk is supposed to be
>> a pretty stable package(s) at this point.  I can't just check in stuff
>> like this without a lot of testing to make sure that it doesn't break
>> anything more than JDK 1.3 compatibility ;-).
>
>That's why C has conditional compilation - and java has some
>options-controlled ugly 'if' code :-) It doesn't break anything if the
>option/def is not selected ( just makes the code a bit uglier ). This way
>even JDK1.3 will be happy.

Yeah, well, I hate ugly ;-).  Using NIO will be switchable (and off by
default for BC for now).  Mark says he doesn't want to use j-t-c HEAD for
4.1.x, and if there is ever another 3.3 release, I'll just add a comment
that using the Coyote-JK connector requires JDK 1.4 (similar to the one for
the HTTP/1.1 connector).  The old AJP connector works well enough in 3.3.

I've been spending the weekend fighting with APR-1, that doesn't want to use
the OpenSSL .a files.  At this point, I'm probably just going to admit
defeat.  It's a test box, so I can simply install a test-version of the
OpenSSL .so files and link against that.  It's sad that the libtool from
httpd-2.0.50 works fine with the .a files :(, but APR-1 doesn't.

>The biggest problem in JNI ( and probably - in Java playing nice with other
>languages and the rest of the platform ) is the objects and buffers moving
>around almost randomly. Yes, it may improve a bit the garbage collection
>speed - so people can create millions of garbage objects without thinking
>about it, unlike most other languages that require you to think when
>allocating objects - but it is the kind of optimization that has disastrous
>consequences on the rest of the systems. Luckily gcj and kaffe and mono
>don't do this crazy thing.
>Direct buffers is one band-aid that should be used whenever possible.

Fortunately, this is Remy's problem ;-).

>Costin

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.