tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/server JkMain.java
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:32:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:39 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/server JkMain.java

>billbarker@apache.org wrote:
>> billbarker    2005/06/29 19:49:38
>>
>> With a 16K bufferSize, the APR connector is no longer the clear
>> winner in performance.  For BC, it's currently disabled by default,
>> but it's easy enough to change that after some more testing.
>
>Yes, I can see performance is better too. It's also possible that taking
>the APR code, and rewriting it with regular Java IO would also yield
>slightly better results (regular HTTP is still a little faster than APR
>HTTP - some VMs make the difference very small, but the VM I use for
>testing is definitely not the best for JNI).

Actually, on Solaris the big winner is ChannelNioSocket.  It wins the
performance race easily now.  Too bad that NIO on Windows s*cks.  I guess
that JFA was right, and non-blocking sockets is the way to go.

>Now that I've looked at it a lot, however, I dislike the Java AJP impl, as
>it's way overengineered in comparison to what it required by the current
>Tomcat.

Hey, I like the overengineering ;-).  Yeah, Costin got a little ambitious
here before deciding to just use Coyote.  On the other hand, when Mladen
wants you to implement unix sockets for AJP/APR, ChannelUn is going to start
to look good ;-).

>Rémy

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.