tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bernard <...@actrix.gen.nz>
Subject Tomcat 5 Redhat Fedora rpm question
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:46:09 GMT
Hi,

I am interested in packaging Tomcat.

So I found (using rpmseek.com) the following files:

tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc.i386.rpm
tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_4fc.src.rpm

At a first glance, these files looked like what I wanted to create,
but they contain much more than what I expected and I need to learn
more about the work that is being put into this by others.

Questions:

  1) What is tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc.i386.rpm ? I thought it was a
binary distribution but it has an incredible number of development
file dependencies. Why does it require libgcj?

  2) What is tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_4fc.src.rpm ? Why is it compiling
Tomcat ? I thought being a cross platform Java application,
compilation of the source is not required.
Does it perform a native compile (libgcj)? If so, is this the future
norm?

Who are the people to contact re the most common Redhat distribution?

Many thanks,

Bernard