tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat performance patch (in development) to reduce concurrency...
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 16:38:02 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Scott Marlow wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I wonder if anyone has any feedback on a performance change that I am
>> working on making.
>

> Can you compare the performance of you code with the standard
> implementation when the concurrency is lower then maxThreads
> value?
>
> I see no point to make patches that will deal with cases presuming
> that the concurrency is always higher then the actual number of
> worker threads available.
>
> IMHO this is a bad design approach for the http applications,
> and NIO performance is a proof of that.
> It might help in cases where you have a very very slow clients.
> In any other case the thread context switching will kill
> the performance thought.
>
> Further more I don't see how can you avoid keep-alive connection
> problems without using a thread-per-connection model.
> The point is that with 100 keep-alive connections you will still
> have 100 busy threads.

Why ? 100 keep alive connections doesn't mean 100 active requests,
in real servers there are many 'keep alive' connections that are just
waiting for the next request.

In all servers I know, concurrency was higher than the configured number
of workers  - at peak time, at least, where performance matters.

Costin