tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: AJP/Java connector issues
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 22:44:25 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Bill Barker wrote:
>>> Is something like that possible?
>> It would be really easy to default to 8184 for all Connectors (just
>> change
>> the value in o.a.c.connector.OutputBuffer).  I'm not so sure how happy
>> that
>> would make Remy.
> Not much I'm afraid ;)
>> It wouldn't be too hard to have Connector.createResponse check the
>> protocol,
>> and if it's AJP/1.3 then set the buffer size to 16386 (currently it's not
>> possible to decrease the buffer size).
> That would be great.
>> It wouldn't be that hard to add buffering to JkInputStream so that it
>> always
>> tries to write out a 8184 packet.  This would also prevent fracturing
>> in the
>> event that the webapp programmer decides to call response.setBufferSize
>> herself.  The downside would be an extra arraycopy when writing (and, of
>> course, an extra 8184*numThreads bytes of memory used :).
> Not very optimal IMO. If somebody sets the buffer size by hand, then,
> well, he probably knows better :)

None of these solve a real issue. Right now, the AJP packet generation
will do byte copying, which is bad unless you also use that mandatory
copying to minimize the amount of network packets sent. It's the same as
chunking in HTTP, and does need a socket buffer for best efficiency.
Conviniently, with APR, I need to have direct buffers to handle read and
write, so I'll use them as the socket buffers (like in HTTP).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message