tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/servlets DefaultServlet.java
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 10:12:28 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>
>> Yes, but if the text files are encoded in EBCDIC for example we will
>> send EBCDIC  to the browsers.
>

> Your change makes using the fileEncoding option extremely harmful. For
> straight file serving, we need to send the unchanged resource's bytes,
> so you need to properly encode them on your HD. This is not going to
> change.

but http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/default-servlet.html tells
about fileEncoding:
+++
  File encoding to be used when reading static resources. [platform default]
+++
My "platform default" is OSD_EBCDIC_DF04_1 I have no chances to convince the
users to use UTF-8 for text files! and httpd (apache-1.3) it is serving those
files correctly.

What about converting the files when reading them?