tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Klaus Wagner <kl...@it-austria.net>
Subject Re: JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 10:51:06 GMT
On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 11:33:56AM +0200, Mladen Turk wrote:
> There was a nasty bug in load balancer, that basically
> broke the failover.
>
> Interesting is that it was spotted only when the release
> was made, so this gives one reason more for making some
> sort of releases and binaries to attract more users to
> actually do the testing.
>
> My question is what to do?

I am observing these mod_jk issues quite some time lurking on
tomcat-dev and from a user POV I'd really appreciate a fork of
mod_jk into 1.2 stable and 1.3 (or whatsoever) unstable.

During 1.2 development after 1.2.5 serious changes have been added
that a) broke compabilty and b) added new features that introduced
a lot of new issues and bugs.

Don't take me wrong, mod_jk is a great peace of software and the
new features are really good in concept, but IMHO I would not consider
any mod_jk release after 1.2.6 stable.

Mladen has done a great Job in improving mod_jk, but I think that this
sort of changes require a new branch.

And finally another issue about mod_jk ... lack of dokumentation.

I think I have seen the local_worker issue several times on the dev
list, and I am not watching the user list. Wouldn't it be easier to
document the newer redirect features than answering tons of mails
from users that ask for it.

I am neither a contirbutor, nor a developer nor a member of asf,
so my opinion may not weight much...

regards Klaus