tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 15:33:47 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/docs changelog.xml

>Tim Funk wrote:
>> Would it be worthwhile to use a new property?
>>
>> maxSavePostSize - The max size of a post to save. 0 for unlimited, -1 to
>> disable saving post.
>>
>> Of course this doesn't mitigate a malicious person issuing many POSTS
>> under the configured threshold.
>
>I think I disagree. Even if you are not trying to do a DoS, it is very easy
>to do it non intentionally if you save any post data (file upload).
>
>We'd need to restrict saved POST size severely, as well as restrict more by
>default any form POST data.

I agree.  I'd even be +1 to further restricting the saved body size for
CLIENT-CERT auth, and that one is only saved for the time of one request.
Since the body in a FORM auth is going to be saved for much longer, it's
even more important to restrict it.

And this is even more important for mod_jk users, since they will never get
a chance to recover the data that they have posted :(.

>Rémy

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.