tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11 Http11AprProcessor.java
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 05:03:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
Http11AprProcessor.java

>Bill Barker wrote:
>>>remm        2005/05/11 04:23:26
>>>
>>>  Modified:    util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net AprEndpoint.java
>>>               http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
>>>                        Http11AprProcessor.java
>>>  Log:
>>>  - Should fix thread safety issue reported by Bill (needs testing).
>>
>> Peter's test case does finish with this on my Solaris box.  I'll see if I
>> can do more testing next week.
>
>Mladen told me that the sync was badly done, and that I should be using a
>queue instead (too bad, it took one week).

Peter's test was stressing my poor little box a lot (which it really
shouldn't, since it is a high-concurrency/low-traffic test).  It was one of
the things I wanted to look into when I had time to run more tests.

Also, I've been running the test with sendfile disabled.  It seems that
Solaris7 doesn't have this particular feature :(It was added to Solaris8).
With sendfile enabled, I get a nice core-dump (since there is no
apr_socket_sendfile in my libapr.so :).  I'm guessing that a for production
release we need something like this in AprEndpoint.init:
   if(useSendfile && !Apr.hasFeature(Apr.SENDFILE)) {
         log.warn("disabling sendfile, since your apr version doesn't
support it");
         useSendfile = false;
   }

>He still needs to remove some syncs in the native code, apparently (= the
>hacks he added on top of APR, but which didn't quite work).

It seems I need to look for a few more patches before I can usefully test.

>Rémy

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.