tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Brittain <ja...@brittainweb.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat and APR
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:08:17 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jason Brittain wrote:
>
>> You must not have read the paragraph in my last email that said:
>>
>> "... And, this is *with* Tomcat's compat package installed properly."
>
> Maybe there's a regression. It used to work long before 1.1.5 anyway,

I'm curious to know which version of Tomcat ran like that.  I've tried
more than a few versions.

> but it could be that the classpath generation using the manifest from
> JARs doesn't work (it does in gij, where you can do a -jar
> bin/boostrap.jar). So add jmx.jar and tomcat-juli.jar to the classpath
> to fix it.

Just so you know, I unjarred bootstrap.jar (from 5.5.9) and here's what
the manifest looks like:

[root@localhost bootstrap]# cat META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.2
Created-By: 1.4.2_06-b03 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Main-Class: org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
Specification-Title: Catalina
Specification-Version: 1.0
Class-Path: jmx.jar commons-daemon.jar commons-logging-api.jar tomcat-
  juli.jar

Notice the "tomcat-\r juli.jar" in there!

> "This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
> or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
> installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat
> binary download page."
> means JMX wasn't found, that's all.

Yes.

I did:

[root@localhost jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9]# export CLASSPATH=/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/bin/jmx.jar

and then started it again, and it still didn't find JMX (same message
in catalina.out).  If that's what you meant, it didn't work.

--
Jason Brittain