tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Brittain <ja...@brittainweb.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat and APR
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:05:48 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> This has been hinted for a while ;) The purpose of this email is to
> propose using APR (Apache Portable Runtime) as the network IO used by
> Tomcat, instead of the JVM's IO.
[snip]
> Which will allow:
[snip]
> - (likely) better performance and reliability on free JVMs

This sounds as though you're implying that Tomcat already runs on one or
more free JVM.  Which ones?  And, any particular version?

All of them that I have tried can't run Tomcat.  Before, it was just that
they each used the GNU Classpath core classes, which were (still are?) too
incomplete, and even though the required classes were found and loaded, they
were either incomplete (missing some methods for instance), or they were wrong
somehow and caused random fatal startup problems.  Most of the problems seemed
to have to do with either reflection or JMX or both.  Here's how my last attempt
went (SableVM Version 1.1.10):

[root@localhost jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat]# java-sablevm -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat/common/endorsed
-classpath :/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat -Dcatalina.home=/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/home/jbrittain/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.8-with-compat/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
start Created MBeanServer with ID: [UID: 8594076,1109751203829,-32768]:localhost.localdomain:1
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument of incorrect type
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java:461)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.setAwait (Bootstrap.java:337)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main (Bootstrap.java:407)
    at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
    at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)

So, I'm still looking for even one free/OSS JVM that is capable of
running Tomcat.

--
Jason Brittain