tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/authenticator AuthenticatorBase.java
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:01:02 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> IE is still (unfortunately) the browser used by a lot of people, and if
> there is a way to work around IE brokeness - I think it's a good idea to
> do it.
>
> Complaining to M$ doesn't work - people will just end up buying IIS
> instead :-)
>
> Seriously, not sure why is the veto invalid - if the choice is between

Because the change is integrated in all 5.x stable releases, and because
it is just too old. It should be plainly obvious.

> having it working for 90% of the people and doing it 'right' - it is
> worth probably more discussion and a pragmatic decision :-) I would vote
> for fixing it for the 90% of people - at least until IE gets down to
> some 49%.

The issue obviously does not affect 90% of people (if it was, we'd have
more than a few people complaining, it should be obvious ...), as the IE
bug is a specific situation, unlike what Keith's FUD would want to show.
However, it used to completely break Mozilla under SSL (as a compromise,
I asked for Keith to show good faith and test it again, but all he
seemed to be interested in is least effort in getting his patch in).

Rémy