tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Ian F. Darwin" <...@darwinsys.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Connectors!! Help needed!!
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:22:12 GMT
>Thanks! your suggestion helped me a lot. Can you plz. tell me whether a Java
>[Servlet] can be connected to a telnet tool?

It's not clear what you are asking; there is no such thing as a "telnet tool". Do you want
to connect from a telnet client to a servlet, or do you want to connect from a Servlet to
a telnet server? I do wish people would learn to be as precise as possible in asking questions.
So I'm only going to answer one of the possibilities :-)

A telnet client can connect to an HTTP server and run a web request which can be
a servlet. This is often done for debugging.

However you did say "raw data" which most programmers would interpret as "binary".
And you cannot send binary data from a telnet client.

If your servlet accepts textual raw data, you might try something like this:

telnet serverhost 80 # or 8080 if Tomcat in default configuration
POST /MyDataServlet HTTP/1.1
Host: serverhost

12345.67 890123.45
11111.11 22222.222