tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <...@darwinsys.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Connectors!! Help needed!!
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:10:10 GMT
Do not use as many exclamation marks than words.

Do not have as many words in your disclaimer as your query.

Your technical question is addressed below...

Sharma, Meenakshi wrote:

>Hello Everybody,
>
>I'm developing an application which is a java servlet, deployed on tomcat
>5.5
>Now, I want my application to take raw data from the client through
>sockets, & for that it has to make a socket connection and listen that
>port for data.
>
>I've heard that we can create Connectors in Tomcat, which can listen
>to any protocol type of request i.e. Http, Telnet or any of
>application protocol.
>
>In my case I need a Connector which can listen to a socket for raw
>data type requests...

Writing your own connector is probably a big undertaking, and not for
the faint of heart.

Why not just write a standalone server, if you're not using HTTP?

Or, even simpler, why not have the client use POST and read the body as an
input stream in the servlet? This does allow you to send "raw data" from a
client to a Servlet.  Consult any good book on Servlet Programming for how
to do it.  This way you get all the benefits of Tomcat without having to
rewrite it.