tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question: Strange Session Remove Attribute
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:33:42 GMT
Peter Rossbach wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> but I can't find a statement that the valueUnbound get an invalid
> session, when it called after sessionDestoryed.
>
> HttpSessionBindingListener ===
>   /**
>     *
>     * Notifies the object that it is being unbound
>     * from a session and identifies the session.
>     *
>     * @param event        the event that identifies
>     *                the session
>     *       * @see #valueBound
>     *
>     */
>
>    public void valueUnbound(HttpSessionBindingEvent event);
>   ====
>
> I thing the part "identifies the session" is in conflict with the
> current tomcat implementation.

Interface HttpSessionBindingListener:

Causes an object to be notified when it is bound to or unbound from a
session. The object is notified by an HttpSessionBindingEvent object.
This may be as a result of a servlet programmer explicitly unbinding an
attribute from a session, due to a session being invalidated, or due to
a session timing out.

> Today the user get a IllegalStateException at event.getSession().getId()
> instead the session identifier.
> The current servlet spec is not clear at this session event definition. :(
>
> What is correct?
> -   current handling
> -   emit remove session event and after this the session is invalid
> -   remove emit event after invalidation
>
> What we can do?
> -   document the situation
>        Add lifecycle diagrams ( state flow)
> -    propose a change to the spec team
>         Don't emit remove session attribute events, when session
> destoryed, like ServletContext and ServletRequest handling ( my favorit)
>         Only direct removeAttribute calls, emit remove event.

I give up ;)

Yes, the current behavior is certain to be the correct one.

Rémy