tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:06:15 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:

> G√ľnter Knauf wrote:
>
>> Hi Mladen,
>> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated
>> about those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler
>> bug directly to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks
>> connection years ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the
>> problem; and after that three more versions of the stupid compiler
>> were released and they from Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!

Hmmmm....  Metrowerks used to be good back when I used it (early PowerPC
Mac days).

It was stricter than most compilers -- perhaps even causing some
warnings to be errors.  I understand how this can cause issues building
open source software, but for my own development I always appreciated
the compiler being stricter than others -- it made porting a lot
easier.  [I now use Java and am dismayed at what C compilers let you get
away with.]

--
Jess Holle