tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From G√ľnter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] JK 1.2.10 Released
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:20:46 GMT
Hi,
>> Also I would like to mention that I'm probably way more frustrated about
>> those banana patches than you cause I reported that compiler bug directly
>> to the Novell manager who was reponsible for Metrowerks connection years
>> ago, I even wrote a sample to demonstrate the problem; and after that
>> three more versions of the stupid compiler were released and they from
>> Metrowerks werre not able to fix it!!!!
>>

> Do you have any proposal what should we do?
there's no other way than what I did: define own types and cast.

Here's the whole problem:
- from clib sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 1.3:
int setsockopt( SKT s, int level, int name, char *val, int len );

- from libc sys/socket.h which is used with Apache 2.x:
int setsockopt(int s, int level, int optname, const void * optval, size_t optlen);

and there's really _no_ compiler switch to tell CodeWarrior to treat 'const char*' <->
'char*' differences as warnings than as errors.

But I think on the other side the Metrowerks CodeWarrior is not the only compiler which behaves
abnormal, and that's one of the reasons why Apache2 uses own types whenever it makes sense;
Apache 1.3 did not so much, and therefore you see it building with a couple of warnings on
many platforms - and even with gcc you see them if developers would use -Wall ....

greetz, Guen.