tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: APR usage
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:44:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 6:41 AM
Subject: APR usage

>Hi,
>
>Sendfile now *likely* works (both regular and single range requests), but
>is very hard to test. Since nearly all the time it seems to be a non
>blocking operation, it could be possible to do it inline inside the
>DefaultServlet itself (performance would be the same, but the plumbing code
>can be removed). It probably depends on the amount of cache the system has
>available, though, so may not be a very good idea.
>
>The first tests provided by Mladen are encouraging, as it seems it does
>what I expected it to do (reducing thread counts without reducing raw
>throughput at the same time).
>
>Assuming I become convinced that APR is the way to go (I'm a bit undecided
>right now), I'd like to use a scheme where APRized connectors get used
>unless explicitely configured otherwise as soon as the necessary native
>libraries are present.

I'd be +1 to use the APR connectors by default if the native libraries are
found, as long as it quietly falls back to the Java connectors if the
library isn't there.  The reason is the same as for making PureTLS the
default SSL provider:  You've already done the extra work (building the
native library/installing PureTLS), so you must want to use it.

I'm -1 if it would require extra configuration to run Tomcat out-of-the-box.
The result would be a huge flood of tomcat-user questions and BZ reports.

>Bill, does APR seem like a workable solution for you (did you look into it
>/ play with it ?), or do you favor NIO ?

I've been playing with NIO mostly because there aren't enough real bugs to
fix in Tomcat anymore ;-).  I certainly have no plans to make it the default
Channel anytime soon (or I'd hear many screams from Windows users ;-).

Personally, APR doesn't scratch any itch for me.  But one of the nice things
about the Tomcat community is the freedom it gives developers to scratch any
itch they have.  Scratch away :).