tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: New TLP draft
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:10:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henri Yandell" <flamefew@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: New TLP draft

> On Apr 8, 2005 11:19 PM, Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com> wrote:

True for servletapi.

> Mark Thomas (I think, sorry if it wasn't Mark) explained Watchdog as
> existing for Tomcat 4 and being dead because Tomcat 5 no longer needed
> it (or some such). This seems like a pretty clear ownership by Tomcat.

Don't forget Tomcat 3! (except that jakarta-watchdog is hopelessly broken,
with no active committers).  I don't really have any objection to
corpse-watching.  We should probably assume jakarta-tools in this case as
well (dead project used, AFAIK, only by watchdog).

> The ServletAPI modules were (I assume) created for use by Tomcat.
> Unless we start a project at Apache for hosting JCP spec jars, it
> seems that a part of the Tomcat community would be the ones writing
> the servletapi-3.0.jar in 2 years time; so servletapi also seems like
> it's owned by the Tomcat community.

Other than jakarta-servletapi-3.0 would be an alias for jakarta-servletapi,
I agree with moving them to the tomcat PMC oversight.  However, they have a
separate committer list (for good reason), and this should be preserved.

> Going a bit further out; I think it would be fair to say that the
> Tomcat community are the inheritors of the mod_jserv stuff; but as the
> last published cvs location for this no longer works, there's nothing
> concrete to hand off. Just vague ownership of something archived
> somewhere.

The last version of mod_jserv is already living in jakarta-tomcat.  If there
is another copy not listed at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html,
I vote to nuke it, since it is even older and less supported than the copy
in jakarta-tomcat.  Personally, I don't care if the jakarta-tomcat version
works or not (since I've finally moved my last webapp off of it :).