tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/server JkMain.java
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:46:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/server JkMain.java

billbarker@apache.org wrote:
>> Give Remy something meaningful to benchmark against ;-).
>
>Mladen did all the preliminary tests using the HTTP example server that is
>in the mustang sources, which is a similar comparison.
>
>> It also has extra GC vs Remy's ChannelAprSocket.
>
>... which will never exist ;)
>
>I don't think the way AJP connections are currently processed makes this
>suitable for this kind of usage, as the GC would likely be too high. Did
>you test it ?

On Solaris, threads are really cheap, so ChannelSocket would alway win
anyway (just on the context-switching alone :).  And, yes, the GC is too
high.

The only use-case for ChannelNioSocket would be a system where you are
forced to set a connectionTimeout for ChannelSocket to keep Tomcat happy,
and what that is telling you is that you really need a better OS.

I admit that it was somewhat of a vanity project (like a lot of stuff in Jk
:), but since almost nobody knows Jk-Coyote well enough to enable it, it
seemed harmless. I also have no problem yanking it if all it's going to do
is to create tomcat-user questions.