tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/servlets DefaultServlet.java
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:48:09 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/servlets
DefaultServlet.java

>Bill Barker wrote:
>> This should be 'org.apache.catalina.sendfile' (or, if you prefer,
>> 'org.apache.tomcat.sendfile').  Otherwise, you'll get BZ reports like:
>> <whine>
>> In my application Filter I do
>>   request.setAttribute("sendfile.filename", new MySendFileName());
>> and my application breaks on 5.5.10.  It worked fine on 5.5.9.
>> </whine>
>
>Well, I'll add a ckeck for the token to avoid this. It's completely
>broken anyway right now (Mladen says it can be fixed), so there's a
>chance that this feature will be scrapped.

I remember reading a while back on dev@httpd that there were some problems
with sendfile on Windows.  I don't remember the details, and I don't follow
dev@apr to know if they have been fixed.

>Passing attributes to the lower layer is harmless (and I don't quite
>like huge names, but I can change them if you want to).

I don't care if you pass all attributes to the Coyote Request.  It might
even be A Good Thing.  It's just that if we follow the spec recommendation
in section 4.2, we can say that the 'org.apache.catalina' attribute name
space is reserved for Tomcat internal attributes.  Reserving the 'sendfile'
namespace for Tomcat internals is rather arbitrary, and more likely to break
webapps.