tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Rabe" <dr...@opentext.com>
Subject procrun and stack size
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:43:37 GMT
I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28 on Windows XP Pro. I recently discovered that the number of threads
I could create from within my webapp was significantly less than I could running a program
with java.exe. After a lot of research, I discovered that if you run a JVM from a C wrapper
(as Tomcat does with procrun), the default stack size is taken from the "stack reserve" field
in the .exe header. Passing -Xss to the created JVM does not appear to have any effect. Has
anybody considered building Tomcat's procrun with a smaller stack size, to make it more consistent
with java.exe? In j2sdk 1.4.2_06 (I haven't looked at other versions), java.exe is linked
with a 256k stack. I would suggest that would be a reasonable size for Tomcat as well.

Thanks,
--Daniel Rabe