tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Web apps vs. Logging vs. Tomcat
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:24:41 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> Why out of curiosity?  I don't have a pro-UGLI ax to grind here, but
> Commons-Logging's behavior in Tomcat is really undesirable as is.

It would be the same anyway: the loading configuration and the logger
instances will be tied to the webapp classloader. It has to work this
way. As I understand it, the thing that does not work for you right now
is that Tomcat uses your webapp's logger namespace before your callbacks
are called.

> Now if you're inside JBoss and it has pre-established log4j and
> configured it prior to Tomcat loading, then I don't see a problem with
> Commons Logging.  Standalone Tomcat's Commons Logging behavior vis-a-vis
> log4j would seem to be an issue, though.  The issues are especially bad
> and bizarre when log4j is used in a web app but Tomcat itself does not
> have log4j installed, but this is only part of the issue.

I don't see any real difference. There should be plenty of container
listeners and stuff available to configure this.
(I see Bill just mentioned conf/tomcat5-mbeans.xml but I have no clue
what it is)

BTW, JBoss (supposedly, I didn't check personally) uses commons-logging
everywhere, and the logging implementation used is log4j.

Rémy